Christmas might be front of mind for the consumer, but as the sales die down and the New Year settles in, the retail industry will enjoy its biggest industry event of the year – The NRF Big Show.
Held in New York in mid-January each year, the NRF Big Show is considered the premier industry event on the annual calendar, drawing almost 40,000 attendees, 16,000 retailers and 800 exhibitors from 99 countries.
Here’s an insight into what’s in store at the NRF Big Show in 2020.
NRF 2020 Vision
Renowned as the largest retail event in the world, the NRF Big Show is the centerpiece of Retail Week, enabling retailers to kick off the New Year with a fresh perspective of innovation and change in the sector.
Next year’s show will run from January 12–14 with the title NRF 2020 Vision. It’s set to feature a line-up of renowned industry speakers including the likes of Starbucks president and CEO Kevin Johnson, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Best Buy CEO Corie Barry, and Nordstrom co-president Erik Nordstrom.
Meanwhile, over 800 exhibitors will offer an insight into the latest products, tech and trends impacting the retail sector.
Hosted by the National Retail Federation, NRF 2020 is described as the place “where visionary talent meets visionary tech and the latest and greatest becomes the here and now”.
Headlining a line-up of over 400 speakers is Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson, who will speak on the topic of ‘nurturing humanity in a modern retail environment’.
NRF President and CEO Matt Shay noted Mr Johnson was a leader in the retail industry “whose expertise and vision range from the fundamentals of selling a good cup of coffee to the cutting edge of the technology driving today’s retail revolution”.
“He understands the importance of the personal touch with retail customers, and no matter how much technology evolves, remaining a force for good in the global communities retailers serve,” Mr Shay said.
Mr Johnson will be the opening Main Stage speaker on January 13, the second day of the three-day conference.
He will discuss the role of shared experiences and community in the modern-day retail environment, and the recognition that the pursuit of profit is not in conflict with the pursuit of doing good.
Mr Johnson will be joined by further experts and industry names on the main stage, including presidents and CEOs of some of the world’s biggest brands.
Keynote speakers at the 2020 event include:
- Microsoft CEO, Satya Nadella on the future of retail and how technology can help the industry transform.
- Nordstrom co-president Erik Nordstrom on the company’s vision for improving customer service.
- Crate and Barrell CEO, Neela Montgomery on ‘Winning the experience economy: How to raise the bar in a world of raised expectations’
- Stitch Fix President and COO Mike Smith, Pinterest Co-founder and CEO Ben Silbermann on
- on ‘Curious. Distinctive. Uncompromising. Conversations with Recode’
- The Vitamin Shoppe CEO Sharon Leite on ‘Disruption: Rapid growth of CBD products impacting big box, digital, specialty and department stores’
- Poshmark co-founder Tracy Sun on ‘Successful disruptors: StockX, Poshmark and Le Tote grow digital-first retail with unique formats’
- thredUP President Anthony Marino on ‘Recommerce revolution: Upcycling retail’s future’
NRF 2020 Vision marks the 109th year the annual convention has been held. The event takes place at the Javits Center in New York City from January 12 to 14.